Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Immaturity?

It's been a long time since my last post, I know. I've been sort of busy with school, and for a while I lost all motivation to do pico blogging. But I'm going to try starting again!
Now I know this is a couple days late, but I want to address something a little concerning when I noticed Pico was having that maintenance which lasted longer than we expected. I took a look at their Facebook page, and wandered down to some of the comments.
What I saw was downright concerning, to say the least.

Now I know that the general audience of Pico is quite young, around 11-15 years old. But I myself find that no excuse for some of the conduct that I saw in those comments. A few users (whose names I will leave anonymous to preserve privacy) were shouting threats, obscenities, complaining, and generally being impatient.
I could certainly understand the disappointment (I mean hey I had to go to class in half an hour, and I had no Pico to tide me over), but it seems to me that everyone was missing the point of the maintenance: To make Pico better. They don't shut the site down for hours because they like it, they're addressing the errors that pop up, the very same ones that some of the very same people had complained about in discussion boards. And yes, sometimes maintenance will take longer than expected because something goes wrong.

But what got me the most, was when one girl posted, wondering why everyone was so upset, when Pico wasn't the world.
These people attacked her. Not disagreed, attacked. They went after the way she looked, her name, her background, anything they could find by just clicking on her profile. They ganged up and bullied her, and frankly it sickened me. To the point at which I was compelled to report every single one.
We're all here for the same reason. Because we like Pico. We like the community, and we like the features. So why exactly do we have to attack each other? And also attack the staff of Pico because they're -gasp- doing their jobs?

I was pretty damn disappointed in those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment